|
|
|
Ohio mother accused of decapitating baby due in court
Legal Career News |
2015/03/20 15:25
|
A judge has set bail for an Ohio mother accused of decapitating her 3-month-old baby at $500,000.
Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Melissa Powers set bail at a brief hearing Friday, where a handcuffed Deasia Watkins didn't speak. She will go before a grand jury March 26.
The 20-year-old Watkins was charged with aggravated murder after her daughter's body was found Monday on a kitchen counter in an aunt's home.
Authorities say 3-month-old Jayniah Watkins had been decapitated and stabbed multiple times with a large chef's knife. Police found Watkins in bed covered with blood.
Watkins was previously forbidden to have contact with her daughter after being hospitalized for psychiatric problems.
Watkins was released from a hospital Thursday where she was under guard and remains in the county jail. |
|
|
|
|
|
'Saved by the Bell' Actor Due in a Wisconsin Court
Legal Career News |
2014/12/31 11:47
|
Dustin Diamond, the actor who played Screech in the 1990s television show "Saved by the Bell," is expected to appear in a Wisconsin courtroom.
Diamond is accused of stabbing a man during a bar fight on Christmas Day in Port Washington, where he currently lives. A criminal complaint charges Diamond with second-degree recklessly endangering safety, disorderly conduct and carrying a concealed weapon.
A hearing is scheduled Monday afternoon in Ozaukee (oh-ZAH'-kee) County Circuit Court.
The criminal complaint says Diamond and his fiancee got into a tussle with two men and a woman at the Grand Avenue Saloon on Thursday night.
Diamond told police he accidentally stabbed one of the men while trying to defend his fiancee. The man was not seriously injured. Police say officers recovered a switchblade. |
|
|
|
|
|
Hernandez lawyers due in court in 2012 slayings
Legal Career News |
2014/11/25 10:17
|
Lawyers for former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez plan to discuss evidence-sharing by prosecutors during a hearing in the slaying of two Boston men.
Hernandez is charged with murder in the 2012 fatal shootings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado after a chance encounter at a Boston nightclub. His lawyers and prosecutors are expected to meet with a judge in Suffolk Superior Court Tuesday to give an update on evidence shared by prosecutors.
Hernandez has waived his right to be present for the last two hearings in the case and is not expected to be in court Tuesday.
Prosecutors say Hernandez and a friend followed the two men in their car after one of the men accidentally spilled a drink on Hernandez. They say Hernandez fired at least five shots into the car at a red light, killing the two men and injuring a third.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty in those killings and in the 2013 shooting death of semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd.
He is scheduled to go on trial in January in Lloyd's killing. A trial date of May has been set in the 2012 double slaying.
|
|
|
|
|
|
Case of American jailed in Cuba back in US court
Legal Career News |
2014/09/22 16:44
|
An attorney for a Maryland man who has spent over four years jailed in Cuba argued before a federal appeals court that his client should be allowed to sue the U.S. government over his imprisonment.
An attorney for Alan Gross, who was a government subcontractor when he was detained in Cuba in 2009, appeared Friday before a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
A lower court judge dismissed Gross' lawsuit against the government in 2013, but Gross' lawyers appealed.
Gross was arrested while setting up Internet in Cuba as part of a project for the government's U.S. Agency for International Development. Cuba considers USAID's programs illegal attempts by the U.S. to undermine its government and Gross was given a 15-year prison sentence.
|
|
|
|
|
|
California high court pick up for confirmation
Legal Career News |
2014/08/28 11:23
|
California Gov. Jerry Brown's nominee to fill a vacancy on the state Supreme Court has received strong support during the run-up to his confirmation hearing.
The three-member Commission on Judicial Appointments is widely expected to confirm Stanford University law professor Mariano-Florentino "Tino" Cuellar after a two-hour hearing Thursday in San Francisco.
If approved, the registered Democrat would fill a vacancy created by the retirement in January of conservative Justice Marvin Baxter. The Mexican-born Cuellar will also be placed on the November ballot for voter approval if confirmed Thursday.
The three witnesses scheduled to testify say they are supporters. In addition, the commission received seven written endorsements, including one from former FBI chief Robert Mueller. The commission hasn't received any written opposition.
"I believe Tino to be of the highest caliber and a man of character," Mueller wrote. "He is reasonable, even-tempered and moderate in his approach to the law."
Cuellar was born in Matamoros, Mexico, and walked across the border to attend school in Brownsville, Texas, according to the governor's office. He earned his law degree from Yale Law School and a doctoral degree in political science from Stanford University. He has been a law professor at Stanford since 2001. |
|
|
|
|